1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon grated
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
2 large eggs
1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
Preheat oven to 300°
Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour baking powder, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a mixer, beat together the sugar, vanilla, coconut extract, and eggs. Beat with at medium speed for 2 minutes, or until thick.
- Add the flour mixture and coconut; stir to combine (dough will be very sticky).
- Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface; knead lightly 7 or 8 times.
- With dampened hands, shape the dough into 2 12 x 3-inch logs on the parchment-covered sheet pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the logs are golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- Cut the logs diagonally into approximately 25-30 ½ -inch-thick slices Place them cut-side down on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet, and cool completely on wire rack
Yield: approximately 40 biscotti
NOTE: If splitting this recipe into 4 equal-sized logs, and not two (log size: approx 10”x1.5”), the yield is approx. 50-60 biscotti. If you make the smaller ones, bake for 22 minutes, and again for 8 minutes.