Scones (Regular, Full Gluten)
Adapted from King Arthur FlourPrint Pin Rate
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- zest of one lemon
- 1 stick cold butter, cut into small pieces (8 oz)
- 1 ½ cups minced dried fruit (dates, figs, apricots, raisins, etc.)
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup cold milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet (or line it with parchment).
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and lemon zest. Work in the cold butter with your fingers or a pastry cutter, until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the dried fruit.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla until the mixture is frothy. Add this to the dry ingredients, stirring until it’s well blended. The dough should be cohesive and very sticky.
- Drop dough by the 1/3-cupfuls onto the baking sheet.
- Let the scones rest for 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes or so before serving.
- Best enjoyed warm, with butter or whipped cream, and jam
Yield: 8-9 scones.