- 1 medium head green cabbage, shredded
- 2-3 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 large onion, grated
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Combine the cabbage, carrots, and onion in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and vinegar until the sugar dissolves. Keep stirring. It may take a while (see note below)
- Pour the sugar mixture over the cabbage mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Chill for at least 30 minutes (or overnight, which is better), and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If you want to completely dissolve the sugar quickly, heat the vinegar and sugar mixture in a saucepan over a medium heat, until the sugar dissolves. Cool to room temperature before combining with the vegetables