Quick Tomato Sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 28 oz can whole tomatoes, chopped or crushed by hand
½ cup white wine
1 6 oz can tomato paste
2 tablespoons fresh basil, or 1 tablespoon dried
salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, over a medium heat, add the olive oil and garlic. Sauté until the garlic is fragrant, 10-30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and wine, and bring to a simmer. Add the tomato paste
- Simmer, covered, for 20-30 minutes (or however much time you have). Add the basil, and simmer for 5-10 more minutes
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- If you like a smooth sauce, puree it in a blender, food processor, or with an immersion blender
- If you have any rinds of parmesan cheese, add them to the tomatoes when they come to a simmer.