- 1 large eggplant, cut into ½ inch slices
- olive oil
- 3-4 cups tomato sauce (recipe below)
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or 8-12 slices of provolone cheese)
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves, shredded (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- Lightly brush an 8” x 8” pan with olive oil and set aside
- Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil, with the foil overhanging the sides, and brush the foil with olive oil. Place the eggplant slices on the foil, and brush each slice lightly with oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven, and carefully fold the foil in half over the eggplant, and crimp the edges together, so that the eggplant is sealed inside the foil and will continue to steam and soften. Leave for at least 15 minutes
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°, and set aside 1 cup of mozzarella (or 3-4 slices of provolone), and 1/3 cup of parmesan cheeses
- Spread approximately ¼ cup of tomato sauce onto the bottom of the 8” x 8” pan. Cover this with one layer of the eggplant. You can overlap the eggplant in the pan.
- Spread 1 ½ cups of mozzarella, or enough slices of provolone, to cover the eggplant. Sprinkle 1/3 of a cup of parmesan over the top, half of the basil, and cover with approximately 1 ½ cups of tomato sauce. Repeat this with another layer of eggplant, basil, cheeses, and sauce
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Then, spread the remaining cheeses over the top, and bake for 5 more minutes
- Let this rest for 5 minutes (it will be very hot), and serve immediately
Makes 4-6 servings