- 1 loaf French bread, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 5-6 plum (or other) tomatoes
- ¼ cup (approximately) basil leaves, cleaned and sliced
- 3 scallions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- feta cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°
- For the toast/crostini
- Combine 1⁄4 cup olive oil, 3 of the minced garlic cloves, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and a pinch (1/8 teaspoon) black pepper. Brush this onto the sliced bread.
- Bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes, or until barely golden.
- This can be done up to 2 days ahead
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces, approximately 1⁄4 inch cubes. Combine all of the remaining ingredients with the tomatoes, including the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 cloves of garlic. Adjust the flavor with salt and pepper.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the mixture onto the toast. If desired, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and/or feta cheese, and serve.
Makes approximately 40 pieces