Chocolate Lava Cakes
2 oz dark chocolate
½ cup heavy cream
4 oz dark chocolate
1 stick unsalted butter
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup flour
Preheat the oven to 400°
To make the centers:
- In a small saucepan, add the cream and bring it to a simmer. Remove it from the heat, and add the chocolate. Let it sit for 30 seconds, and whisk it until smooth.
- Let it cool to room temperature, the refrigerate for at least one hour. This can be done 2 days ahead.
To make the cakes:
Butter or spray six 4 oz ramekins. Set aside.
- In a double boiler, or a stainless steel bowl over barely-simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter. Whisk to blend.
- In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer, combine eggs, yolks, sugar, and vanilla, on high speed, until the batter is lighter in color and thickened.
- Fold melted chocolate and flour into the egg mixture until just combined. Spoon cake batter into ramekins. Place a chocolate ball into the middle of each ramekin. Don’t press into the bottom of the ramekin.
- Bake for 13-15 mins, or until cake is firm to the touch. Let it cool for 1 minute. Invert onto plates and serve immediately.
Serve with whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
Makes 6 servings