Biryani with Chicken and Shrimp
2-4 tablespoons olive oil
¾ pound of boneless chicken breast or thighs, thinly sliced
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon curry
½ teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon paprika
½ cup cashews
2 bay leaves
1/3 cup raisins
1 ½ cups rice
3 cups (approx) vegetable or chicken stock
¾ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pre-heat a medium-sized stock pot over a medium-high heat. When it’s heated, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, then the chicken. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the chicken is browned, but not cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside. Depending on the size of the pan, you may need to do this in 2 batches.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and add another tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion, and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the onions are softened and partially cooked. Add the garlic, and cook for another 30 seconds.
- While the onion is cooking, in a small bowl, combine the dried spices: cumin, cardamom, curry, garam masala, cinnamon, and paprika. When the onion is cooked, add the spices to the pan, and combine with the onions, until the mixture is fragrant.
- Stir in the bay leaf, cashews, raisins, chicken, and rice, and combine thoroughly.
- Stir in the stock, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a low boil and reduce the heat until the liquid is simmering
- Cover, and simmer until the rice is almost cooked through, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the top of the rice, but don’t mix it in.
- Continue cooking until the rice is cooked through and the liquid is absorbed, approximately 5 more minutes.
- Adjust the flavors to your liking, including salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Yield: approximately 4-6 servings