Cheesy Rustic Potato Mash-Up Gratin
3# large Yukon Gold potatoes, cleaned but not peeled
6 large garlic cloves, NOT peeled
1 ½ cups cottage cheese
½ cup sour cream
1 ½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 bunch scallions, sliced
½ cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
¼ tsp paprika
Preheat oven to 350°
Lightly coat a 2 quart (or a 9” x 13”) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or oil.
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are barely tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and let sit until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes.
- Peel the potatoes and grate them into a large bowl; set aside.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins into a food processor. Add the cottage cheese and process until completely smooth.
- Add the sour cream, salt and pepper and process briefly to combine. Add the cottage cheese mixture and scallions to the grated potatoes and mix well.
- Place the potato mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with grated cheddar and paprika.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes 6-8 servings