Gluten Free Scones
Adapted from King Arthur Flour
1 3/4 cups Gluten Free Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg, optional
zest of one lemon
1 stick (8 oz) cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup minced dried fruit (dates, figs, apricots, raisins, etc.)
2 large eggs
1/3 cup cold milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet,or line it with parchment paper
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, nutmeg, and lemon zest. Work in the cold butter with your fingers or a pastry cutter, until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the dried fruit.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla until the mixture is frothy. Add this to the dry ingredients, stirring until it’s well blended. The dough should be cohesive and very sticky.
- Drop dough by the 1/3-cupfuls onto the baking sheet.
- Let the scones rest for 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes or so before serving.
- Best enjoyed warm, with butter or whipped cream, and jam.
Yield: 8-9 scones.