Lithuanian Lightning Cake
from Ernest Dzendolet
¼ cup butter
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 400˚.
Grease (butter or spray) and flour an 8 inch or 9 inch cake pan. OPTIONAL: line the bottom of the pan with waxed paper, and grease and flour this too. This will help get the cake out of the pan.
- Melt the butter. Set aside to cool to room temperature
- Sift or whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt
- Lightly beat the eggs, and add the butter. Add enough milk to this mixture so it totals one cup in volume
- Add butter mixture to dry ingredients and combine until well mixed. Mix in the vanilla
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out dry from the center of the cake
- Let it cool for 5-10 minutes on a cooling rack and remove from the pan
Makes one, single layer cake.
- frost the cake with your favorite chocolate icing
- sprinkle confectioner’s sugar over the top
- serve with a sauce, such as peach, raspberry, lemon curd, etc.
- serve with freshly whipped cream