½ # Pad Thai (rice) noodles
½ cup water
¼ cup fish sauce
3 tablespoons sugar or agave
Zest of one lime
juice of one lime
1 teaspoon paprika
6 shakes Tabasco
2-4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg (optional), beaten
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
¼ cup peanuts, chopped
3 scallions, sliced or ¼ cup cilantro
½ pound bean sprouts
- Place rice noodles in a large bowl, and cover with water for 30-45 minutes, or according to package instructions. You can even leave them for a few hours. They won’t disintegrate.
- Combine water, fish sauce, sugar, lime zest and juice, paprika, and Tabasco in a bowl. Set aside.
- When noodles are done soaking, drain and set aside
- In a wok or large skillet, over a high heat, add approximately ½ tablespoon of oil, and cook the egg. Remove from pan. Repeat this process with the chicken and shrimp. Remove each item from pan after they’re cooked
- Add ½ tablespoon of oil to the pan, then the garlic and 1 tablespoon of the peanuts. Sauté for 30 seconds, or until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add the noodles and fish sauce mixture to the pan. Cook over a medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the noodles are cooked through.
- Add the egg, chicken, and shrimp briefly back into the pan to reheat.
- Remove from the heat, and add the spouts and scallions (or cilantro) and combine. Remove from pan, and place on serving platter.
- Spread the remaining peanuts over the top, and serve
Makes approximately 6 servings