Salmon “Crab” Cakes
1 pound poached or roasted salmon, all bones removed, (see poaching instructions below)
½ cup bread crumbs
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 scallions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons mustard
7 dashes Tabasco
8 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup cornmeal
¼ cup Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) OPTIONAL
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine all of the ingredients, except the cornmeal, Panko, and olive oil.
- Shape the mixture into 8 round patties, approximately 1 ½” thick.
- Combine cornmeal and Panko, and roll crab cakes in cornmeal mixture.
- In a large skillet, over a medium heat, add the olive oil. Sauté the crab cakes until golden colored, approximately 4-5 minutes per side.
Makes approximately 8 salmon cakes, or 24 mini-cakes
Serve with mustard dill sauce, tartar sauce or remoulade sauce
To poach salmon:
- Enough water (or ½ water, ½ white wine) to cover the salmon
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- Bring the water and onion to a light boil, and gently simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the salmon, and gently simmer for approximately 10 minutes, or until it’s cooked to your liking