Asian Beef with Orange
Adapted from Fine Cooking MagazinePrint Pin Rate
- 1 ½ lb steak tips, or top sirloin, thinly sliced
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sherry or Marsala wine
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2-2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- zest from 1 orange
- canola oil to stir fry
- Slice the beef and set aside. Whisk together ½ cup soy sauce, 2 tablespoons sherry, brown sugar, and corn starch, until the corn starch dissolves. Add the beef and set aside.
- Combine scallions, garlic, and ginger. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine chicken stock, vinegar, sugar, and remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Set aside.
- Remove the beef from the marinade, and set the marinade aside.
- Over a medium-high heat, add two teaspoons of oil, and ½ of the beef, browning it on both sides, and remove. Repeat with other half, and remove from pan. Set aside.
- Add one teaspoon of oil, and sauté scallion mixture for 10-20 seconds, or until it becomes fragrant but does not get brown or burned.
- Add the chicken stock mixture, with remaining marinade. Simmer for two minutes. Add remaining vegetables, and cook to your liking.
- Add beef back into the pan, with the orange zest. Heat through, and serve.
Makes 4-5 servings