- 6 large firm bananas (peeled and sliced in half (length-wise) or cut on the bias 1/2" thick)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (half a stick)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup rum
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- In a large skillet over a medium heat, add the butter and brown sugar. Continue to stir, until the butter melts and the sugar has dissolved. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and let this cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the bananas, and continue to spoon the sugar mixture over the bananas, until the bananas are heated through. The edges of the bananas will start to become a bit rounded. While the bananas are heating, add the lemon juice.
- When the bananas are heated through, add the rum* to the pan, and gently simmer for 1 minute.
- Ignite the rum (See warning in notes)
WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!! You may choose to ignite the rum. Be very careful if you do. If you do choose to ignite the rum, make sure you have the lid for the pan immediately at hand, to cover the pan and extinguish the fire, if necessary. Also, make sure the fan in the hood vent is not on, so you won’t fan the flames. Make sure you take all precautions necessary to ensure everyone’s safety.