Bread and Butter Pickles
1 ½ pounds pickling cucumbers, cut into ¼ inch slices
1 ½ tablespoons pickling or kosher salt
1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 cup white vinegar
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons mustard seed
½ teaspoon celery seed
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Combine cucumbers and salt in a large shallow bowl; cover and refrigerate for 1 ½ hours.
- Rinse the salt off the cucumbers, and drain the excess water in a strainer or colander. Move cucumbers into a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Drain well.
- Place the cucumbers and onions in a nonreactive bowl.
- Combine the sugars, vinegars, mustard seed, celery seed, and turmeric in a saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once the sugar has dissolved, pour the hot mixture over the cucumber slices and onion, and let it rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight and store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 4 weeks
Yield: approximately 1 quart of pickles