- 3-4 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes (or thighs)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans black beans
- 2 cups approximately 3-4 ears, cooked corn (frozen is okay too)
- 1 lime, both zest and juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a stockpot, over a medium/medium-low heat. When it’s heated, add the olive oil, and then the onions. Sauté these for approximately 30 minutes, until the onions are soft. Add the garlic, and sauté for 30 seconds, or until the garlic becomes fragrant
- Increase the heat to medium-high, and add the chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, and oregano, and mix well to combine.
- Add the cubed chicken, stirring frequently, for approximately 5 minutes, or until the chicken is browned, but not cooked through.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, corn, and lime zest and juice. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked though. Adjust the seasonings, especially the chili powder, cumin and salt, to your liking.
- Serve with the garnish of your choice, including sour cream, shredded cheese, and/or onion
Makes around approximately three quarts, or 8-10 servings.