This is a hearty coup that makes a ton, freezes well, and will help you through any season and even a cold!Print Pin Rate
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 10 chicken thighs (or 2-3 chicken breasts bone-in and skinless)
- 4 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 4 stalks celery (diced)
- 3 onions (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- In a large soup pot, add the chicken and cold water and cold (or room temp) stock. Bring to a boil, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, approximately 25-35 minutes. When the chicken is cooked, removed from pan, and cool to room temperature. While it’s cooking, with a spoon, skim the brown-ish foam from the surface of the liquid.
- While the chicken is cooking, peel and cut the vegetables (except the peas). Add them to the pot when the chicken is removed. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- While the vegetables are cooking, cut or shred the chicken.
- When the vegetables are cooked, put the chicken back in the pan, with the peas, and bring back to a simmer. Adjust the flavor with salt and pepper to taste.
If you can, cool the soup overnight in the fridge, and skim any fat off the top the next day.