- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg (well beaten)
- 1 tablespoons shortening (melted, or butter or margarine)
- 1 cup cooked corn (approximately 2 ears, plus juice scraped from the cob)
- Preheat oven to 425º, and grease an 8” square pan or a cast iron skillet
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add the milk, egg, melted shortening, and corn and corn juices. Blend well
- Spoon into the prepared pan, and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan, and cut into squares.
Makes approximately 9 pieces Optional: Add 1/2 cup grated cheddar or Jack cheese.