How-To Brine A Corned Beef
Cuisine: Irish & UK
Author: Chef Bill Collins
- 1 large red beet peeled and chopped
- 5 pound brisket
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup kosher salt or sea salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon allspice berries
- ½ tablespoon ground mace
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 crushed bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
Place the beet in a blender, with ¼ cup of water. Blend until pureed. If it’s very thick, add an additional ¼ cup water.
Combine all of the remaining ingredients, except the beef, with the beet juice, in a large bowl, and thoroughly combine. Place the beef into a two gallon food bag or other plastic (or glass) container, add the beet and spice mixture. Refrigerate for 5-7 days.
- If the beef is not fully covered by the liquid, turn it over at least once per day. If it’s in a flat-ish container, place a glass or ceramic bowl on top to keep it submerged.
- The beet will turn the beef red, instead of using sodium nitrate.