- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter (cut into small pieces)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (approximately 2 lemons)
- ⅓ cup lemon juice (approximately 2 lemons)
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pie crust (already baked)
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Gradually add the milk. Simmer on the double boiler for 8-10 minutes, or until thickened (almost like pudding). Stir every 2-3 minutes. Once it’s thickened, cover and cook for 10 more minutes, also stirring every 2-3 minutes
- Temper the egg yolks with the hot mixture, and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently. (see note below)
- While the egg yolk mixture is heating, make the meringue: With an electric mixer, beat the whites, sugar, and cream of tartar to the stiff peak stage, and set aside
- When it’s done cooking, remove from the egg yolk mixture from the heat, and mix in the butter, lemon juice, and zest
- Pour the hot lemon mixture into baked pie shell. Top with meringue. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the top is browned
- Cool to room temperature. Serve either at room temperature, or cooled
Egg yolk tempering: This step is to prevent the egg yolk from cooking immediately when it hits the hot liquid. Instead, slowly add the hot liquid to the egg yolk to gently bring its temperature up. Once all of the hot liquid has been added, continue to the next step.
How to Blind Bake A Pie Crust
Yield: 1 Crust
- 1 pie crust dough
- Preheat the oven to 425°
- Roll out the dough, and place it in in the pan. Re-chill the dough, in the pan, until it’s firm, approximately 10 minutes
- Either dock the dough or use parchment and beans (or pie weights, as in the next two steps)
- Cut a round piece of parchment 2" bigger than pan
- Press the parchment into the corner of the dough and pan, and fill it up with the dried beans
- Lower the oven heat to 375°
- To partially blind bake, continue baking until the crust is slightly browned, approximately 5 minutes
- To fully blind bake, continue baking 8-12 minutes longer, until it’s browned
- Remove from oven, and remove parchment and beans
Calories: 1058kcal | Carbohydrates: 106g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 65g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 33g | Sodium: 798mg | Potassium: 206mg | Fiber: 3g | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 5mg
- 1 cup flour (sifted)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter (cold, cut into 6-8 pieces)
- 2 tablespoons water (chilled (iced))
- Place the flour and salt in the food processor bowl. Pulse-chop briefly.
- Add the butter, and pulse-chop the mixture until the butter looks like small pea sized lumps (or smaller) in the flour.
- Add the water, ½ tablespoon at a time, and pulse-chop until the mixture has a barely sticky, dough-like texture.
- Place the mixture into a bowl, and gently bring the dough together with your hands until it’s a firm ball of dough
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour
- When you roll out the dough, give it 5 minutes or so to soften a but so it can be more easily rolled out
- Roll out the dough and bake with it!