- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chicken fat (or vegetable oil)
- ½ cup seltzer (or use club soda or chicken broth)
- 1 cup matzoh meal
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash salt
- Beat the eggs with a fork. Add the remaining ingredients. Chill for 10 minutes to several hours
- Dip your hands in cold water, and make approximately 12-14 golf ball-sized balls
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add approximately 2-3 teaspoons of salt. Add the matzoh balls, cover the pot, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the matzoh balls are soft
- Serve in chicken soup or broth
The Soup!There are no rules for the soup. It can just be a clear chicken or vegetable stock
- The soup can be just the stock with cooked carrots and celery in it
- The soup can be a full chicken soup, with chicken, vegetables, peas, etc.
- Yes, you can serve this any way you’d like. There are no soup rules for matzoh balls!
- The matzoh balls can be made a day ahead, and stored in the refrigerator. Warm them in the soup, or simmering water, before serving
- You can add flavors and herbs, if you’d like, including ginger, nutmeg, parsley, cilantro, dill, etc.