Mediterranean Seafood Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
2 celery stalks, finely diced
1 onion, peeled and finely diced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
1 8 oz bottle clam juice
4 cups fish or chicken stock
1 pinch saffron
3 red potatoes, diced small
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 – 1 ½ pounds seafood, which can include scallops, salmon, shrimp, haddock, or almost anything. Cut them into bite-sized pieces.
Red pepper flakes (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a large soup pot, over a medium heat, and add the olive oil, then the carrots, celery, and onion. Sauté for 5-8 minutes, or until the vegetables start to cook through. Add the garlic, and continue to cook for 30 seconds, or until it becomes fragrant. Stir in the oregano
- Add the tomatoes, crushing them by hand. Add the clam juice, stock, and saffron, and bring to a simmer, covered.
- Add the potatoes and basil, and cover and simmer, for 8-10 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost cooked through
- Add the seafood, and continue to simmer for just a few minutes, until it’s cooked through
- Season to taste with red pepper flakes (start with a small pinch of flakes), salt and pepper
Makes approximately 6-8 servings.
Serve with crusty bread, or garlic bread