- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4-5 russet or red bliss potatoes, cut into 1/4” slices (peeling is optional)
- 2 cups chicken stock (approx)
- salt and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Heat a large oven proof skillet * over a medium heat. Add the olive oil, and then the onions. Sauté for 15-20 minutes, or until they start to brown and soften. You can sauté the onions for longer, even caramelizing them. This will make everything even more flavorful
- Add the remaining ingredients, with enough stock to barely cover the potatoes. Bring to a simmer
- When the mixture has reached a simmer, remove the skillet from the stovetop, and place in the oven, uncovered
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the stock is absorbed, and a crust begins to form on the potatoes. If some stock remains in the pan, that’s okay. Either remove it before serving, or serve it with the liquid. Both work well.
Serves 4-6 as a side dish. * If you don’t have an oven proof skillet, heat the potatoes on the stovetop in a skillet. Then, CAREFULLY transfer the hot mixture to an oven proof dish, like a pie plate, to bake in the oven.