- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (medium sized, peeled and minced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and diced small)
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (2 medium sized, peeled and diced)
- 1 pound butternut squash (approximately ½ medium sized, peeled, seeded, and diced)
- 1 pound white potatoes (2 medium sized, peeled and diced)
- 8 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock or water)
- Heat a stock pot over a medium heat. When it’s heated, add the olive oil, then the onion and carrot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the vegetables start to cook through
- Add the squash, sweet potatoes, regular potato, and water or stock, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until all of the ingredients are cooked through
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. You can also use a food processor, blender, or food mill for this step.
- Adjust the seasoning, as needed, with salt and pepper
Optional flavors to oomph this up: fresh ginger, grated cumin chili powder, Tabasco, Sriracha, or other hot sauce balsamic vinegar Bragg’s Liquid Aminos shredded or diced cooked chicken fresh or dried herbs: oregano, cilantro, thyme, parsley, etc.