- 1 stalk lemongrass (large, or two to three smaller ones, trimmed, split lengthwise and cut into large pieces.)
- 2 pieces bone-in chicken breast (split, skin removed)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 14 oz coconut milk
- 1 onion (peeled and diced)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms (stems removed, tops sliced)
- 4 oz white mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 1 zest of one line
- 1 sweet potato (peeled and diced small)
- 1 carrot (peeled and shredded)
- ⅓ cup cilantro (divided)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ cup peas (fresh or frozen are fine)
- Bean Sprouts (Optional)
- In a stock pot, add the lemongrass, chicken breast, chicken stock, and water. Bring to a simmer, uncovered. Remove the chicken when it’s cooked through, approximately 25 minutes. Strain the stock, and discard the lemongrass. When the chicken has cooled, remove it from the bone, and either dice or shred it.
- Return the stock to the stove, and add the coconut milk, onion, red pepper, both mushrooms, lime zest, and sweet potato. Add more water if the vegetables seem too crowded. Simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes, or until the vegetables are almost cooked through.
- Add the carrot, half of the cilantro, fish sauce, peas, and shredded chicken. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and more fish sauce, if needed
- Garnish with remaining cilantro and bean sprouts