- 2 pounds potatoes (peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 3 large onions (peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying (for frying - don't use olive oil, it will smoke and burn easily)
- Grate the potatoes in a food processor, until they’re mushy, and place them in a large bowl.
- Grate the onions in a food processor, also until mushy, and place them in the bowl with the potatoes.
- Add the remaining ingredients. If the mixture seems too wet, add some more flour. It should have the texture of cooked, liquidy oatmeal.
- In a heavy skillet, heat 1/4″ to 1/2″ of oil until it’s hot, but not smoking. Spoon 1 large tablespoon of the potato mixture into the oil, and flatten it so it’s not rounded on top. Fry on each side until golden brown and crispy.
- Taste the first pancake to make sure you like the taste and texture. Often, more salt or pepper needs to be added
- serve immediately
This recipe makes about 20 pancakes.